Google

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Jaggery Tales

One morning, I suddenly woke up at 5 am. It felt that someone was banging on the door. Very hard. Thak thak thak thak......

I woke up to see the time on my watch. It read 11 am.

"Laaaaaaaaaaaaaate again!!!"

That is what my inner soul shouted. But I suddenly realised that when someboday was on the door it felt like it was 5 am. Where did I lose my 6 hours? Then I realised I had a taste of jaggery in my mouth. I went to my kitchen and a lively aroma of makke ki roti was present there....

I woke up and glanced at my watch : 5.10 am. Ahhh bad dream, but a tasty one. Then I realised that why am I waking up again and again at such an early time? Yes, the door was still banging, and it was even louder this time. I went up to the door and very politely asked,

"Kaun hai subeh subeh?"

My dear friend from Pakistan had come. His name was Iqbal. I had met him in Canada where we both had worked for in the summers.

"Iqbal bhai, you in India? You never told me, when did you come."

"Actually was here for a conference. And my flight reached Mumbai today morning, and have straight away come to your house. Thought will give u a pleasent surprise."

"Mast kia aapne! So do you wanna rest?"

"No, look I have brought food from my house, lets warm it right away, we dont have time to sleep".

Iqbal was always this energetic! And soon we were habving Makki ki Roti with some jaggery. I suddenly realised that is what I had smelt in the dream. The very same smell of Makki and the taste of jaggery.

"Hey Iqbal, a very strange thing happened this morning. I had this dream that I have just had the very same food we are having right now!

Iqbal bhai, why aren't you listening, Iqbal.. Iqbaaaaaaaal! "

I suddenly woke up and found that it was a dream. And I knew that now I was awake for real because the watch showed a decent time 8.30 AM. But soon I rembered that today Iqbal had to come to visit me.

This makes me remember the lines by Gulzar...

"Subah subah ik khwab ki dastak par darwaza khola, dekha
Sarhad ke us paar se kuchh mehmaan aaye hain
Aankhon se maanoos the saarey

Chehre saarey sune sunaaye
Paanv dhoye, Haath dhulaye
Aangan mein aasan lagwaaye...
Aur tannoor pe makki ke kuchh mote mote rot pakaye
Potli mein mehmaan mere
Pichhale saalon ki faslon ka gud laaye the

Aankh khuli to dekha ghar mein koi nahin tha
Haath lagakar dekha to tannoor abhi tak bujha nahin tha
Aur hothon pe meethe gud ka jaayka ab tak chipak raha tha

Khwab tha shayad!
Khwab hi hoga! !
Sarhad par kal raat, suna hai, chali thi goli
Sarhad par kal raat, suna hai
Kuchh khwaabon ka khoon hua hai"



7 comments:

Unknown said...

literature point of view se sahi hai, understanding point of view se it sucks

Aditya Oday said...

right arun
it requires a little higher understanding skills!

Unknown said...

jo sirf tere paas hai, aam logo ke paas nahin hai

Aditya Oday said...

tabhi to main baant raha hu
gurr samajh ke kha lo

Unknown said...

sugar ki bimaari ho jaaegi, nahin khaana aapka gurr

Aditya Oday said...

gurr se nahi hoti [:)]
especially is wale se [:D]

shrik said...

Dont know if it was Gulzar saab's shaayri or the small piece of story... but it didnt fail to touch the reader's soul!!